What has the Lord revealed to you about Himself in your recent readings? Are we being obedient to these revealed things?
Is the idea of reading your Bible exciting or taxing? What is the position of your heart towards getting into His Truth?
What makes it difficult for you to get into God’s word? Is it an issue of time, prioritizing something above it, or something else?
What can you do this week to mediate this struggle? How can we find the time and the desire to get into God’s Word?
Repeat these questions 3-5 for the spiritual discipline of prayer.
RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
THESE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS ARE ONLY FOR GROUPS WHO ARE NOT GREEN LIGHT ON MEETING 6.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
7 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.”
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.
- First15 Devotionals (click here to subscribe)
- Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon
- Devotional Classics by Richard Foster
- Spiritual Classics by Richard Foster
- Names of God by Ann Spangler
- Lord, I Want to Know You by Kay Arthur
- She Reads Truth Reading Plan – http://www.shereadstruth.com/
Whole Bible in a Year Plans (Right click and Save Link As to download)
- YouVersion – Bible App – download and select from a variety of reading plans
- ESV Daily Reading Plan
- Chronological Reading Plan
- Straight Through the Bible
Partial Bible in a Year Plans (Right click and Save Link As to download)
Books on Prayer
- The Kneeling Christian (author unknown)
- Prayer: Find the Heart’s True Home by Richard Foster
- Prayer by Timothy Keller
- Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig and Dave Roberts
- Draw the Circle by Mark Batterson
- Valley of Vision Prayer Book by Arthur Bennett
- Face to Face (Volumes 1-3) by Kenneth Boa
- Common Prayer Pocket Edition: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne & Jonathon Wilson-Hartgrove
The Purpose of Prayer – My Utmost For His Highest – http://utmost.org/the-purpose-of-prayer/
Developing a Life of Prayer Series by Dean Ridings – Focus on the Family – http://www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/becoming-a-christian/developing-a-life-of-prayer/developing-a-life-of-prayer
8 Ways to Pray – Christianity Today – http://www.christianitytoday.com/iyf/hottopics/faithvalues/8-ways-to-pray.html
- Begin to journal your prayers. Start by writing down a bible verse you read that was meaningful.
- If you have a long drive to work and enjoy listening to talk radio, audio-books, and the like (a.k.a. it doesn’t make you sleepy); try listening your way through the Bible during that time. The Bible App has many versions that are audio-recorded and can be played through your phone.